Monday 10 June 2013

Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Year Of The Horse - Side 1

Don't Spook The Horse!
My great friend and colleague James McAllister, Creative Director at Karmablue Studios: http://www.karmabluedesign.co.uk very kindly asked if I would be interested in working on a re-design of the DVD artwork for the Neil Young and Crazy Horse release 'Year Of The Horse' I jumped at the chance! 
Often I'll work up a number of ideas before choosing the ones that go off to the client and sometimes the client will want to make changes or may decide that we need to take the artwork in a different direction. Which can mean that you tend to amass many unused visuals or variations, the below cover ideas won't be used, but just thought you might like to see them...

The aim that I wanted with these ideas was to to keep traditional Neil Young elements, such as his hand written titles that have appeared on his albums (e.g. from the Tonight's The Night album and incorporating elements from the original 'Year Of The Horse' album artwork) but to try to give the whole thing quite a cinematic look... We actually ended up going in a totally different direction in the end...

Music Listened to while working on Neil Young, Year Of The Horse DVD artwork:
Manassas by Manassas, Stephen Stills - A forgotten Stephen Stills masterpiece
If I Could Only Remember My Name by David Crosby - Just beautiful...
Year Of The Horse by Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Tonight's The Night by Neil Young, "Goodbye Waterface"
The Hissing Of Summer Lawns by Joni Mitchell
Cry Softly Lonely One by Roy Orbison






1 comment:

  1. Great artwork, shame about the subject though!
    I think I hear a barn collapsing...

    ReplyDelete